This job was from a few months ago, but still worth blogging about, because it showed the power of a simple paint job. This was a rental property, where the tenants had taken it upon themselves to ‘brighten up’ the color on the walls. But it appears that dropcloths and clean lines weren’t exactly a part of their plan. This is what we saw when we walked in:
Wow! Not only was the paint job several years out of date, but they had dripped and splattered all over the beautiful hardwood floors and chosen a weird pinkish color for the ENTIRE house! Also the wall/ceiling seams were old and chipping away.
We started with some simple mud and caulk and patched up all the holes and cleaned up those seams. Here’s some ‘in progress’ pics:
Looks simple, but some of those seams were hard to clean up! The prep work on the walls alone took about 3 days in this 3 bedroom house. We went through more mud and caulk than on any single project we’ve ever worked on! I mean, just how many pictures did these tenants have on their walls, anyway?
We chose a neutral color to cover the pink. It was a beige-ish tone, a bit darker than the neutrals we usually go with, but wanted to not compete with the existing wall color too much with only a single primer coat (also meet a fast turnaround deadline). Now, check out these after pics!
These walls came out looking great! We also spent a nice chunk of time getting the dried paint up off the floor. There were at least 3 colors on the floor, revealing that these renters liked to ‘redecorate’ often. There were also several sections of missing baseboard and several outlet and light plates that needed replacing (they had been painted over several times, too!). And lots and lots of holes in the walls! A quick sweep of the floors and this house was ready for re-renting. The landlord was thrilled that we were able to turn it around so quickly, given the amount of need this property had. It’s always great when the client walks in and says ‘whoa!’ That’s the best compliment!